Monday, March 22, 2010

My start

So, for Christmas quite a few years ago, my mom bought me a sewing machine. I had no idea how to use one, but I really wanted to learn. I read the manual, thread the bobbin wrong about a thousand times, finally got it right, then, I made my girls pajama pants. The first pair came out toddler size (my girls were around 5 at the time or a little older). I sewed the legs together on the second pair! Finally, I got two decent pairs to come out. Funny thing, the girls still wear them today ( at 11 and 10), although, they look more like Bermuda shorts now!

I sewed off and on, but always got discouraged. Fastforward to the last year or so, I have been sewing more and more. I read blogs, watch you tube videos, follow tutorials, etc. and just throw myself into it. I don't have a lot that comes out without some mistake or two, but I am getting better! I would love to take a class or two....someday????

So, this morning, I grabbed an old faded pillow case, and attempted to make a pillow case dress. It turned out pretty good. So, then, I took the measurements from my first pillowcase dress and cut out some fabric. The second dress out of fabric came out even better! Yay for improvement! I didn't follow a particular pattern. I looked at a few places online, and then, just did my own thing. I will post a picture or two later.

For now, here are the places I got inspiration from.
http://www.designsbysick.com/articles/basic-pillowcase-dress/

http://www.youcanmakethis.com/info/new-sewing-and-applique/Caroline-Dress-with-Matching-Doll-Pattern-Sizes-0-8.htm

https://www.fabshophop.com/downloads/pillowcaseDress_chop1.pdf

http://www.jenleheny.com/pillowcase-dress-instructions


Check back later for pics!!!!

I have aspirations to do my very own tute, too! Hopefully, I will get to that this week!

Ok, here is my 13 (almost 14 year old) with his 22 month old sister, modeling my first pillowcase dress from fabric! Please forgive the leftover strings I forgot to pull off the dress. LOL
Photobucket

And to show how versatie it is, here it is on my 10 year old daughter (she was even sweet enough to model it with spilled soup all over the front from G).lPhotobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment